Wednesday, March 6, 2013

How to find your freelance niche

How I found my freelance niche and how you can find yours




In this article April Greer explores the idea that finding your freelance niche can actually help you gain more clients and more income.  Often times we hear the phrase, "If you try to be good at everything, you will be excellent at nothing."  This phrase never has rung more true to me then now, when I am dealing with needy freelance clients.  I have been seeking something that could help me separate the "good" and the "bad" clients.  Greer suggests narrowing your focus to increase your clientele.

First, Greer suggests taking a look at one’s self and thinking about what projects make you giddy and excited.  Finding the projects you are truly passionate about can help you find your niche.  To do this you need to be able to understand your design strengths and weaknesses, find your passion, and understand your client relationships. One of the biggest aspects of these steps is to understand your business.  To do this, you have to be able to take your hobby of design and transform it into a business.  Start marketing yourself as designer and make yourself known as a professional.  How to do this? Name your business, create an identity for the business, and characterize your audience. 

Taking a look at this article, I can definitely make some exceptions when it comes to my freelance clients. I need to find the type of projects that really get me excited to do the work, rather than taking any project that comes my way.  Defining what exactly I want to market myself as and what types of services I can provide will also help me.  Take a look at the article, I’d love to hear what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment